Thursday, March 15, 2012

March 15, 2012 - Umbrella




























Love this painting- don't love the photo.  I blame the time change.  I shot a picture of it this morning,
but it was a too dark in my apartment and I didn't have a chance to set up my lights before heading
out to work so I'll probably re-shoot and post.  But in the meantime, you get the gist of it.  In any
case, this one is a bit of a departure from the others.  This piece is based on one of the drawings I
did in my Drawing a Day for a Year project-  May 4, 2011 #105

View here:  http://mbsdailydrawing.blogspot.com/

I've always loved Magritte's work and this reminds me a bit of that. He was fond of placing
objects in front of blue skies in his work.  I've also been wanting to do some pieces that take an
element out of it's usual context and place into another.  Although admittedly this context isn't all
that unusual:  umbrella-sky-rain- floating -all possible when you think about it.  This painting is
actually regionally appropriate in that they're (the weather people) promising us that we're going
to have a nice rainstorm this weekend.  I want to believe it because I miss the rain and would
really love a nice rainy weekend but I'm skeptical because they're always going into "storm watch
2012 mode" and then nothing happens but a light sprinkle.  Fingers crossed.

Painting #4 
11" x 14"
mixed media  

No comments:

Post a Comment